Interviews are a two-way street: Hiring managers and recruiters want to get to know you, but we also want you to get to know us and be comfortable with the position that we could potentially offer you.
Each interview typically has a time where you, the candidate, are able to ask any questions about the company, position, or field. This is your time to show us that you’ve researched the company and have thought critically about the position. Show us how confident you are and highlight why you are our star candidate. Here are a few questions to use as your starting point:
- What skills are you looking for in your ideal candidate? – This gives you an idea of which qualities will help you be successful in the position and possibly give you areas to improve in.
- What concerns or reservations do you have about me for this position? – This allows the hiring managers opportunity to ask you any additional questions they may have about any uncertainties on your resume and gives you time to address and clear up those concerns directly with them.
- How long have you been with the company? – Everyone likes to talk about themselves and their success! Asking about their paths throughout the company also gives you valuable insight to advancement opportunities.
- What are the next steps in the interview process? – While not only is it helpful to know what to expect once you leave the interview, this will show the interviewers that you are excited about the position and do want to move onto the next step.
- What are the biggest challenges facing the company/department right now? — This is a great opportunity to learn more about the specific industry and highlight where your skills might benefit the company.
If you’re also curious about salary or benefits, ask away! Don’t to stay away from those topics. Recruiters and hiring managers realize that your time is valuable, and they don’t want to waste it or theirs. We also want to make sure the position is a perfect fit for everyone involved.
Interested in a career with opportunity in an industry that continues to grow? Click below to learn more!